Monday, December 20, 2010

Scowl At The Moon

I must conserve my strength tonight for a viewing of the total lunar eclipse between 12:30 and 2:00 a.m.

My students told me that Mr. S told them that the eclipse would last until 5:00 a.m. However, they also told me that it was the first lunar eclipse in 500 years. So either Mr. S is on some time-bending eclipse medication, or the students do not listen closely to Mr. S.

I found this out when I informed them of the total lunar eclipse, and told them that I had only seen one total lunar eclipse. A girl in the first row declared that the last total lunar eclipse occurred 500 years ago, so was I saying that I'm over 500 years old? Au contraire, Miss Head Full of Air. Nor am I so old that I signed God's yearbook, nor would I drop dead if told to act my age. There have been plenty of other total lunar eclipses in my lifetime.

She must have meant that it's been over 500 years since a total lunar eclipse occurred on the northern winter solstice. In which case she's STILL wrong, because it has been a mere 372 years, with the last one occurring in 1638.

Kids these days. They don't listen well, and they draw facts like an arrow from the quiver of common knowledge, to pierce Mrs. Hillbilly Mom willy-nilly.

No comments: