Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sometimes I Don't Know If I Can Do It

This is my last night of summer vacation. Tomorrow starts the 2010-2011 school year.

I am not eager to return. I think I am burning out. It might be different if all I had to do was my job. The hassle of getting the #1 son out of bed every morning and rushing to get through my morning classroom routine with limited time is a great stress on my frazzled nerves. No matter how much earlier I try to wake him, he fiddles until we leave 10 minutes after my time limit. Before long, I'll be waking him before he goes to bed.

After the work for which I am paid, I have to decide on what to feed the finicky Hillbilly family. That means two or three different entrees. I am just going to have to use some tough love and make ONE meal, and tell them to eat it or leave it. I doubt anyone will starve to death. And maybe this will be the year that I finally get a dishwasher installed in the Mansion.

The shopping was not done today, because I did not feel like fighting The Devil. Farmer H decreed that he was going to buy a lawnmower tire (after using the tractor to mow the front yard and field for 2 hours). He offered to bargain with The Devil for me. That wasn't happening. I did not have the energy to lead him through the house and point out labels for a visual aid and write the brand name next to every item on my shopping list. I can't afford for him to haul home a plethora of items that I don't want.

Mrs. Hillbilly Mom has a February attitude in August. Be very afraid.

For her sake, let's hope that something funny happens. A good ol' flowered set of panties peeking out of a pants leg would suffice.

4 comments:

Chickadee said...

Aww I hate to hear that...I wonder if you could teach from a different avenue. Like at a college, or a school for the gifted or an educational facility that isn't a school, but takes school groups (I volunteer at such a place).

It's a shame teachers get crap pay and equipment. You'd think since you were teaching the FUTURE you'd be treated like royalty.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Chick,
Some states have pretty good pay, but Missouri isn't one of them. However, I've been at it so long that I'm pretty far down the salary schedule. Pay isn't the issue. It's the politics. It doesn't matter that you go by the rules and do everything right. The teachers who text all the live-long day, and talk on their phones blatantly, and email each other back & forth, and never have their grades recorded, and let the kids use their phones as pacifiers so they don't have to do anything...are the ones that get the pleasant, well-behaved students, 15 to a class, while I get 24 of the trade school students who couldn't give a rip about their End of Course test.

It's my own fault. I should have learned how to kiss butt by now.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I feel for you! I think I am developing a bad case of camphost burn-out. I suppose it is just as well that they won't let me have a gun..... No way I could handle your job!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
You don't have to worry about ME dyeing my hair and eating Cheetos in your bathroom!