Monday, August 9, 2010

Spoiling For The Devil

I have a new complaint concerning The Devil's Playground. I hear what you all are saying: "How uncharacteristic of you, Mrs. Hillbilly Mom!" I know. But I can't let it go.

Yesterday, my little Pony and I went to pick up a few necessities, and the boys' school supplies for the upcoming year. The #1 son was at church, but had given me a verbal list of what he needed. With The Pony entering 7th grade, and #1 going into 10th, they mainly needed the basics. I loaded my cart with 5 spiral notebooks for The Pony, 4 five-subject notebooks for #1, pens, pencils, erasers, colored pencils, and two metal water bottles for The Pony's lunches. For my classroom, I picked up 2 giant GermX dispensers, 3 packs of note cards, and a three-pack of Kleenex. Each boy got 3 shirts, 1 pair of shorts, and The Pony got a new pair of pajama pants.

I don't think that was an extravagant cartload of school supplies. We DID NOT even get any folders or rulers or glue or calculators or binders or backpacks or socks or underwear or shoes. So imagine my surprise when The Devil's Handmaiden, after checking us out, made a snide little comment. She gave me the total, looked at The Pony, and said, "Somebody is spoiled."

For a moment, I was speechless. Thank the Gummi Mary, that didn't last. "I have another son, too. But he's not nearly as helpful as this one." I don't know why I felt a need to justify my purchases to The Devil's Handmaiden. The Pony had helped me unload all the crap onto the conveyor, and he had put the bags into the cart as soon as the Handmaiden filled them. I gave him $2 so he could play a game in The Devil's Arcade. I do that every week, because he goes shopping with me and runs hither and yon to pick up items The Devil has moved since the last time I was there. It wreaks havoc with my shopping list.

Since when is it spoiling a kid to buy him the basic necessities for school? Or to give him $2 to play a game? What's he supposed to get, a notebook and a pencil?

People piss me off.

5 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Wow, you were definitely caught by surprise! In her defence.......she does work for WalMart.......you gotta feel bad for her.

Cazzie!!! said...

Oh My God! That would so piss me off too. Me, having four kids, shopping at Officeworks this year was an amazing experience...NOT. Well, Tom had all of his gear in a kit from the High School, so I did not have to buy him anything from Officeworks... but I did have to fork out for an Uber expensive uniform for his 6 foot height and skinny framed body! For the other three, I bought all their supplies at Officeworks. The school kit price is expensive compared to what I could buy the exact same things from Officeworks. School making profits? Meh.
Anyway... I am glad you gave your little man some money to play an arcade game, he deserves it when he is so helpful. Forget the cashier's stupid natterings... it is probably why she is a checkout chick earning a low wage to start with... grrr, that pissed me off too! You ought not justify a thing to her, you work an amazingly hard job (in my books) and are a good Mumma to your boys and wife to HBH and goat Queen :)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
The biggest reason I feel bad for her is that she has to stand for 8 hours, wanting ice water. Because it is hot as not-heaven in The Devil's Playground. Go figure!

Cazzie,
I can't imagine buying supplies for FOUR young 'uns. Maybe that gal was just making a playful comment. But it still pissed me off. She could have made conversation with "Isn't he a good little helper?"

Chickadee said...

OMG what a b&*@h. How was that appropriate?? Wow.

Sounds like someone has childhood issues.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Chick,
Yeah. Don't go hatin' because I provide for MY young 'uns!