Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Red Letter Blue Ribbon Day

This has been the most fantastic day ever!

First of all, I got almost seven hours of sleep last night. SEVEN!!! And my students were relatively calm and uninjured while toppling domino rows to calculate speed in centimeters per second. My older students spent an hour on Study Island, soaking up knowledge.

The cafeteria served grilled cheese and chicken nuggets, but the only person in the lunchroom eating grilled cheese was Stuart. Which meant more for me, me, ME! Sure, I brought my lunch of chicken strips. But that didn't stop me from scoring a grilled cheese sandwich. FOR FREE! It was delectable. Crunchy, toasted, hard-as-a-rock, with glowing yellow processed cheese food uniformly distributed in the middle. Yum!

But the best part was after school, just before I had to leave and pick up The Pony at his academic team practice. I head the little chime from my phone in my pocket that means incoming. I thought about letting it wait, but because the #1 son was on a trip to a Newmentia academic meet, I checked.

I WON A WRITING CONTEST!

That chime was an email telling me that I'm a winner, and my selection will be published with photo and author bio on the contest-holder's website. Sweet Gummi Mary! I'm flabbergasted. I'd tell you more information, but that would ruin my deep cover in the Blogger Protection Program. I will say that the category was memoir, naturally. Because Mrs. Hillbilly Mom could not invent a story to save her soulless soul.

Please excuse the shouting and exclaiming. It's been a fabulous day.

5 comments:

knancy said...

This is great news and I can't wait to read it! Since you can't let the cat out of the bag about where it can be found posted,would it be safe to assume that if I looked in the bag of cats myself that I could find it? Congratulations!

Hillbilly Mom said...

knancy,
Sadly, I have been neglecting the cats. They are in sore need of an unbagging. It will possibly get a mention there when my selection runs on the contest website. That is supposed to happen in a couple of weeks.

labbie1 said...

Congrats HM! I so enjoy your posts!!!!!! :)

PossumManor said...

I am pretty new here (knancy showed me the way). I am really enjoying your style. I am also very envious that you actually got seven hours sleep.

Hillbilly Mom said...

labbie,
Thank you. I enjoy writing them.


PossumManor,
The seven-hour nights are few and far between. They are deserving of your envy.